Monday, April 18, 2011

"Because of a holiday, the deadline for taxes is April 18, so you have three extra days to dig through restaurant dumpsters for receipts." – Jimmy Kimmel

Well, today is the last day to get your taxes in unless you file an extension.  Subsequently, no more tax jokes until next year.  I know some of you will be really sad and others will be glad they stop : )

Saturday's photo sessions were great - a lot of new photos to process.  I love what I do and really love making memories for other people from everyday life.  Watching the little girl practice the viola and photograph her was fantastic.  Babies and toddlers are always fun.  I have a 5 month old that I am taking at 1 today.  This will be a lot of fun  - blue eyes and blond hair.  Tomorrow is back to consulting.

More and more I am running across people who think I am using some really expensive camera to photograph what I am doing only to find out that some have nearly the same thing I do.  It's not about the equipment, it is the person and their perception of what they are looking for.  If you are using a point and shoot, you can take fantastic pictures - you don't need to have an expensive camera unless you plan on using it to its fullest extent.  Don't go out and buy an expensive camera and keep it in auto mode. 

The book I bought to refresh my mind and get used to my camera was the book by Jeff Revell Canon EOS Rebel T2i/ 550d:  From Snapshots to Great Shots.  The book is specific to the camera and they have lots of these for different camera models.  A good read for anyone wanting to get more acquainted with a new camera.  I came over to the Canon from a Minolta 7000i and a Nikon Coolpix so this book was great.

Today, I am off in a few minutes to start again.  For dinner, I want to make this again - rice pilaf.  I also like carrots diced really fine in mine sometimes and peas too sometimes -- you can add anything you like to this dish ~ just make sure you cook these items to almost done before adding them so they are done at the same time unless they cook quickly. 

Enjoy !

Charlene


Rice Pilaf

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup white or yellow onion, cut into a fine dice
1 bay leaf
1 cup long-grain rice
2 cups chicken stock, boiling
salt, to taste

1. Heat the butter and olive oil in heavy saucepan.
2. Add the onion and bay leaf and saute until tender, but not brown.
3. Add the rice and stir to coat completely with the hot fat. Do not allow the rice to brown.
4. Pour in the boiling chicken stock and season with salt.
5. Cover the pot tightly and place it in a 350°F oven. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is fluffy and tender.
6. Transfer the cooked rice to a pan and fluff the rice with a fork. Remove the bay leaf and serve.

Makes 3 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment