Saturday, April 16, 2011

"What's the difference between a tax auditor and a rottweiler? A rottweiler eventually lets go." - Anonymous

Yes, it is that time of year again and I just finished my taxes last night.  I don't know why I always wait till the last minute but I do.  It is a mental block for me to do them before April?  I hate having to let go of my money to the government I guess.

"Worried about an IRS audit? Avoid what's called a red flag. That's something the IRS always looks for. For example, say you have some money left in your bank account after paying taxes. That's a red flag." - Jay Leno


This is how I usually look after doing my taxes -- hair all frazzled and eyes glassy.  I hate doing them.  I really don't know why.  They are not hard -- I just hate them : )  I usually have all my paperwork together and the software pulls all the pertinent data from last years return but I just hate the thought of doing "taxes".  It's like going to the doctor or dentist.  I hate that too.  Not that I have any real issues, I just hate the thought of being poked and stuck AND paying for it -- maybe that the correlation between the two?  IRS  -- poking and sticking -- then paying them for it / doctors  -- poking and sticking -- and then paying them for it.  I think we have a winner here !

Now that the dilemma is solved, we can move on to happier fields.  In the next few days, I am posting a treat on here for my local followers (unless you are paying my way to fly where ever you are ) -- please stay tuned for that special announcement, it will be worth it.

In the meantime, this one is for you Tracy -- I love french toast of most any kind and I love this one.  If you don't like blueberries, come back and see what is here later in the week for my french toast loving friends and family.

Happy Saturday -- get out and enjoy it !

Charlene


Blueberry-Orange French Toast

Blueberry-Orange Syrup
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

French Toast
16 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
1/2 cup orange marmalade
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted

1. In 1-quart saucepan, mix 1/3 cup sugar, the cornstarch and orange juice until smooth; stir in blueberries. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring often. Boil 3 minutes, stirring often.
2. Spray jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch, with cooking spray. Cut lengthwise slit in side of each bread slice, cutting to but not through other edge. Spread marmalade inside slit. Place in pan. In large bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, 1/4 cup sugar, the nutmeg and vanilla until well blended. Pour over bread; turn slices carefully to coat. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
3. Heat oven to 425ºF. Uncover French toast. Drizzle with melted margarine. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Blueberry-Orange Syrup.
Makes 16 slices

No comments:

Post a Comment