Monday, March 21, 2011

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

For many years, I sat in an office working for someone else and making them richer and keeping all of their stuff in line.  Today, I feel much better,  I am focusing on my own self and my business again.  I am willing to have a few failures to reach the goal.  I have five separate things going on now and and trying to balance all of them and trying not to let any of them fall by the wayside. 

Consulting, photography, writing, sales and painting all take time and a lot of planning and preparation.  However, anything worth doing is worth doing right.  Doing anything right takes time and hard work.  Please don't get me wrong, I love doing all of these things ~ I just wish I had more hours in a day : )

This next weekend, the youth are having a spaghetti dinner at church for everyone.  The ladies are making desserts.  I'm looking for something that will be good.  My mom has requested something chocolate.  I'm sure I will think of something that is really good and chocolate.  I'm sure I don't have a shortage of recipes : )

Plans for today include all of the above.  We are having a light rain in Phoenix today and it isn't supposed to get above 67 degrees.  I love rainy days and Mondays ~ reminds me of The Carpenters.  Maybe while I'm working today, I'll pull their CD and listen to it.

Happy Monday !

Charlene


Chocolate Cake Log

CAKE:
5 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup cake flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

MOCHA CREAM FILLING:
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules

MOCHA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup baking cocoa
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brewed coffee
2 tablespoons milk

INSTRUCTIONS:1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease the paper. Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg yolk mixture until blended.
2. Beat egg whites on medium until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until no streaks remain.
3. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back (do not overbake). Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off parchment paper. Roll up in the towel, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack. In a mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and coffee granules. Beat until stiff peaks form; chill. Unroll cooled cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place on serving platter; chill.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cake. Using a fork, make lines resembling tree bark.

No comments:

Post a Comment