Friday, February 25, 2011

The really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour. ~ Author Unknown

How true !  Most times, we don't like detours or having to go around something - an accident, road work (including me) because we are usually on such a tight time schedule that we don't have the extra time to enjoy our drive.  Lately, I have found that sometimes the detour holds a lot of interesting new sights with beautiful scenery.  Sometimes getting lost or taking the long way around is fun, especially if I have my Canon with me and an empty SD card.  I have been known to get out and take pictures of lots of things from flowers to cows to birds and other people's dogs : ).  Whatever catches my eye.

I really enjoy cooking and photography.  This weekend, my family is coming here to celebrate my Mom's 74th birthday.  We all decided we want breakfast foods for dinner so I am making the Vanilla Soaked French Toast posted earlier on here, sausage gravy and biscuits and eggs and bacon with toast at 3 or 3:30 in the afternoon.  Yes, we are weird : )  but it really doesn't matter what we are having, we will have fun just the same.  Of course, then it will be cake time and I'm deciding what kind of cake to make.  It will be something fabulous like lasts years German Chocolate Upside Down Cake (which I will share today since I can't decide what I will make this weekend).

It's Friday, what are your plans for the weekend?  Get out and take a detour and enjoy the scenery!

Charlene


German Chocolate Upside-Down Cake

Ingredients:
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 package (18.25 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
eggs, water, and oil as directed on package
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
1 pound confectioners' sugar, about 3 3/4 cups, unsifted


Directions:
Grease and flour a 9x13x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350°.
Sprinkle coconut and pecans evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Prepare cake mix with the appropriate measurements of water, oil, and eggs, following the package directions. Pour the cake batter over the coconut and pecans. Beat together the cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar; drop by spoonfuls over the top of cake batter. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of the cake portion.
Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. To serve, cut into individual serving-size pieces and, using a spatula or cake server, remove from the pan and turn upside-down on dessert plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment